This page was last updated May 26, 2020.
The safety of our students, faculty, and staff remains our top priority. These protocols have been established in accordance with guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and the Ohio Department of Health’s Responsible Protocols. We’ve expanded standard protocols to ensure the continued safety of our unique audience. Please note that COVID-19 is a changing situation, and we may enhance or lessen these protocols as the situation demands.
Beginning May 1, 2020, we will implement the following protocols to ensure the health and safety of all Julie Billiart Schools students, faculty, staff, and visitors. These protocols apply to the spring and summer of 2020 (including Beyond Camp). As we approach the 2020-2021 school year and the return of students, we will share additional protocols.
- All individuals entering a school building, including faculty and staff, are required to conduct daily health assessments (self-evaluation). Adult individuals are responsible for taking their own temperatures and assessing their own health. Julie Billiart Schools faculty and staff will be available to help take the temperatures of children during Beyond Camp drop off. If any individual has a fever (a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher), he or she cannot enter. Similarly, anyone experiencing a cough, shortness of breath, or other respiratory illness, should stay home.
- Julie Billiart Schools will limit capacity to meet social distancing guidelines, including a maximum capacity at 50 percent of building fire codes at both campuses. This protocol, recommended by the Ohio Department of Health, will be in effect through the spring and summer. Should the protocol remain in place for our return to school, we will release a plan for students that accommodates this.
- Julie Billiart Schools will limit all in-person meetings and groups to 10 people or fewer.
- Julie Billiart Schools will conduct daily, thorough cleanings of all school buildings per CDC guidelines.We will clean and sanitize workspaces throughout workday and at the close of business.This includes all frequently touched surfaces in the Schools, such as classrooms, bathrooms, keyboards, telephones, handrails, and doorknobs, on a daily basis.
- All employees, students, and visitors are required to maintain proper handwashing before and after touching any surfaces, before and after entering school buildings, and at regular intervals throughout the day.
- All employees, students, and visitors must practice social distancing, which includes keeping a distance of six feet or more when interacting with others.
- Anyone who has traveled from China, Iran, European Countries, United Kingdom, Ireland, or been in close contact with anyone who has traveled to those areas within the last 14 days will not be permitted entry at this time.
- Julie Billiart Schools will create sanitizing stations at entrances to the Schools and in multiple locations throughout to encourage hand hygiene.
- At this time, we discourage handshaking, hugs, and any other actions that require close physical proximity.
- Julie Billiart Schools COVID-19 Response Team meets daily and will prepare and issue an emergency outbreak plan, as well as additional safety protocols, prior to a return to school.
- If a COVID-19 infection is identified among faculty, staff, students, students’ immediate families, or anyone who has visited the school within the previous two weeks, individuals must immediately report the infection to JB Administration (Lannie, Jason and Jodi), who will report the infection to the local health district.
For all faculty and staff (beginning May 1, 2020)
All general protocols apply to faculty and staff. In addition:
- All employees must wear a facial covering inside JB buildings
- While in common areas (hallways, restrooms, front offices and entrances, lunch rooms, and other highly-trafficked areas) and
- While interacting with others
- Julie Billiart Schools will begin a phased approach to reopen the Schools over time. This phased approach will begin on May 1, 2020.
- Phase 1: April, 2020 - School employees, including Principals, Assistant Principals, Central Office staff, and teachers, are encouraged to work from home. If necessary to perform functions of the business, they may enter school buildings but are required to follow social distancing guidelines.
- Phase 2: May 1 - May 15, 2020 - Maintenance and Grounds Keepers will be required to return to their appropriate school building full time. Secretaries will work onsite two days per week to fulfill essential tasks. These employees must follow general protocols, listed above, while in school buildings.
- Phase 2: May 18 - May 29, 2020 - School Secretaries will be required to return to their appropriate school building three days a week to fulfill essential tasks. These employees must follow general protocols, listed above, while in school buildings.
- Phase 3: May 25 - May 29, 2020 - School Principals may begin admissions responsibilities, such as shadow days, at school locations, provided general protocols and visitor protocols are followed.
- Phase 4: Summer 2020 - Faculty and staff will be permitted to enter school buildings, as needed, to conduct Beyond Camp, conclude end-of-year work, and prepare for the 2020-2021 school year. All general protocols apply.
- Phase 5: 2020-2021 School Year - At this point, all students, faculty, and staff, will be expected to return to school and follow health and safety protocols when school resumes in the fall. Prior to the return to school, we will share a new set of protocols to keep our JB family safe. Our COVID-19 Response Team meets daily to plan for a variety of possibilities that may affect the return to school.
- We strongly discourage employees from using other workers’ phones, desks, offices, or other work tools and equipment, when possible. If necessary, clean and disinfect them before and after use.
- When possible, employees should use videoconferencing or teleconferencing for work-related meetings and gatherings.
- Employees are responsible for clearing any visitors with Julie Billiart Schools Administration before allowing visitor access to the building. At this time, a visitor is defined as anyone who does not work for Julie Billiart Schools. If JB Administration clears visitor access, employees are responsible for sharing Visitor Protocols with that visitor prior to his or her admission.
- After use, employees are responsible for sanitizing any high-touch surfaces used during meetings, screenings, or other business conducted at the school buildings.
- If a COVID-19 infection is identified and reported to JB Administration, we will
- Immediately report the infection to the local health district.
- Work with the local health department to identify potentially exposed individuals to help facilitate appropriate communication/contact tracing.
- As necessary, JB Administration will shut down the school building and professionally clean and sanitize the building. According to the Interim Guidance for Administrators of US K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs, issued by the CDC, local health officials’ recommendations for the scope (e.g., a single school, multiple schools, the full district) and duration of school dismissals will be made on a case-by-case basis using the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 and the specific cases in the community. A recommended short-term dismissal for students and most staff is 2-5 days.
- As necessary, JB Administration will reopen the school building in consultation with the local health department.
For all students and families (beginning May 1, 2020)
All general protocols apply to students and families. In addition:
- Per Governor DeWine’s announcement on April 21, 2020, all K-12 schools in the state of Ohio will be physically closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. Students will receive distance learning and remote therapies through May 29, 2020.
- If students, parents, or guardians need to return to a JB location for any reason, they must follow the Visitor Protocols listed below.
For all visitors to Julie Billiart Schools (beginning May 1, 2020)
All general protocols apply to visitors. At this time, visitors include anyone outside of faculty and staff. This includes any family members of faculty and staff, as well as parents and students. In addition:
- At this time, we’re not accepting visitors to Julie Billiart Schools unless expected and cleared by a member of Julie Billiart Schools’ Administration.
- Visitors will be required to wear a mask or facial covering while in a Julie Billiart Schools building. Visitors are responsible for their own masks/facial coverings.
- Visitors will be required to sign a form when entering any JB building that indicates familiarity and consent of our health and safety protocols.
- Visitors are strongly encouraged to not touch school surfaces unless necessary.
- Visitors who have traveled from China, Iran, European Countries, United Kingdom, Ireland, or been in close contact with anyone who has traveled to those areas within the last 14 days will not be permitted entry to school buildings.
Visitors will be required to sign this policy upon entering any JB building. Please understand that even when all Julie Billiart Schools' Safety Protocols are followed, there are inherent risks when entering a communal building such as a school, which could result in being exposed to COVID-19.